Pinar Ozcan is Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Saïd Business School, Oxford University. She is also the academic director of the Oxford Entrepreneurship Centre and the Oxford Future of Finance and Technology (Fintech) Initiative.
Pinar specializes in strategy, entrepreneurship, and technology markets. Her current research includes AI and business models in fintech, open banking, digital disruption, and the rise of big tech platforms. She serves in advisory roles working with regulatory authorities such as the Competition and Markets Authority UK, the Financial Conduct Authority UK, the European Commission and the OECD on these topics.
Pinar completed her Ph.D. at the Stanford Technology Ventures Program (STVP) at the Stanford University Management Science and Engineering Department, and also holds a Master of Science and dual Bachelors degrees from Stanford.
Since completing her PhD, Pinar has received the Excellence in Research Award at IESE, the EFMD Best Teaching Case Award, the IDEA Entrepreneurship Thought Leader Award, and Best Paper Nominations and Awards at Academy of Management Journal and Strategic Management Society. Pinar is also the 2015 recipient of the British Academy Newton Grant for the study of open innovation, the 2016 SWIFT award for the study of the UK Banking industry’s transition into open application programming interfaces (API’s), and the 2016 Best Conference Paper Award at Strategic Management Society.
In 2017, Pinar had the honor to be selected to the Top 40 Business School Professors under 40 by Poets and Quants. In 2018, Pinar received the Strategic Management Society Research in Organizations Award for her work on the disruption in the banking sector in partnership with Swift Institute. She was recently selected to the global Thinkers 50 list for emerging thinkers with the potential to make lasting contributions to management theory and practice. In 2019, she was chosen as a British Academy Mid-Career Fellow for her work on the disruption of banking in Europe and the UK. Finally, in 2021, Pinar was chosen to the Global Women in Fintech Powerlist by Innovate Finance.
Originally from Istanbul, Turkey, Pinar speaks English, German, Spanish, Turkish and Dutch. She is a founding partner of Blanchard International Turkey. Her work experience also includes management consulting at Siemens Corporation in Munich, Germany, and strategy consulting with technology ventures and venture capital firms in the Silicon Valley. Her current topics for public speaking include:
– Digital Disruption
– Platform and Ecosystem Strategy
– Role of AI and Blockchain in Business
– Digital Entrepreneurship
– Fintech Strategy (both for entrepreneurs and for larger firms partnering with fintech)
– Technology Disruption in Finance
– Open Banking and Data-Driven Innovation in Finance
For an updated CV, please click here.
Grants and Awards
- Stanford Lieberman Fellowship (2004): Award for excellence in research and teaching for PhD’s
- Best Dissertation Finalist (2006): Academy of Management, Business Policy and Strategy Division
- AMJ Best Paper Finalist (2009): For Ozcan and Eisenhardt (2009)
- IDEA Entrepreneurship Thought Leader Award (2009): IDEA Awards for Entrepreneurship Research
- EFMD Best Teaching Case Award (2009): “Fiat-Tata Case” by Ariño, Hohl, Mitchell, and Ozcan (2009)
- Representative at Large, Entrepreneurship IG (2010-12): Strategic Management Society
- Representative at Large, Knowledge and Innovation IG (2013-15), Strategic Management Society
- Warwick University Excellence in Teaching Award (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Research Grant by Spanish Ministry of Education (Received 2006-2012). Research team: Pascual Berrone, Bruno Cassiman, Fabrizio Ferraro, Pinar Ozcan (IESE)
- British Academy Newton Fund Mobility Grant (received July 2015) for “Factors Affecting the Building of an Open Innovation Ecosystem in Turkey”. W/ Mahmut Ozdemir, Koc University, Turkey.
- Strategic Management Society Rome Best Paper Award (2016) for “The Dark Side of Flexibility: How Product Module Boundaries affect the Evolution of Collaborative Ventures” (Tee and Ozcan)
- Swift Institute Award (2016) for “Open APIs and the Transformation of UK Banking” (Zachariadis and Ozcan)
- Selected to the Poets and Quants 2017 List of Top 40 Business Professors under 40
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Research, Warwick Business School, 2017
- Strategic Management Society – Research in Organizations Award, 2018
- Global Thinkers 50 Radar, 2018
- Associate Editor, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal
- British Academy 2019 Mid-Career Fellow : Full teaching and administrative buy-out given to 30 academics across fields for the advance of promising research
- Global Women in Fintech Powerlist by Innovate Finance, 2021
- OECD Digital 4 SME (D4SME) Global Initiative, Advisory Board Member, 2022-Present